Friday, April 10, 2009

Updates about my life at 42 Middle School:
I'm teaching the Secondary 3 level, class 20 which has a class size of about 60 students. Standing in front of the class was undoubtedly nerve-wrecking at first, but, the warmth and enthusiasm as shown by the students gave me the courage to conduct my lesson. A 40-min long lesson which was highly enriching to me. The enrichment does not come from pure knowledge, per se, but rather it's from the experience as a whole, pretty much invalauble and once in a lifetime so to speak. They were somehow very much intrigued by the Malay language, since it is after all Singapore's national language. Of all the things which they wanted to know with relevance to the language, 'I love you' was the most commonly sought word, so I taught them, 'Saya cinta kamu!' HAHA, I love my class!!

Also, I sat in as I watched my supervisor conduct the same lesson for another class, and I've learnt quite abit; how she uses the vocabulary from the textbook and used it in the context of day-to-day living, how she randomly tests students to ensure that each and every student get a good grasp of the topic at hand before moving on. That was definitely a point I could pick up for my next lesson (if any) and of course, peer teaching in TP!

Yi Jie's teacher was very nice to me as well. Upon knowing that I did not have any fruits at home, she thus brought me to the nearby market to purchase some 2.5kg worth of oranges! I left them in my form class as I was locked out of the staff room (we didn't have any keys and the teachers have left for the respective breaks). The next thing I knew, my students took my oranges! haha! I offered it to the rest of the class as well, so all in all, I went home with les than 0.5kg worth of oranges. But it's cool, I'm glad I could offer them something before leaving for HOME!!!!=D

Any idea anyone? (:

-Vanessa-

No comments:

Post a Comment