Monday, April 6, 2009

Kat Says Hi From 十八中 and She's Living Like A Local Already!

Hello everyone!

I don't have morning classes today, so I'm pretty much stucked in the office. I thought this would be a great opportunity to blog now. :D

清明节 is a public holiday in China and we had a pretty long weekend to spent. <:

My weekend is the best one among the 十八中 girls, I think. =X

My teacher-in-charge invited me to 苍岩山,井陉 to 扫墓 with her husband's family. I was a little reluctant to go at first 'cos I thought it might not be safe. But hey, it's a long weekend and a free tour around the mountaineous village - WHY NOT?

So, I joined my teacher for 扫墓. And that was the best experience so far in 石家庄, I tell you!

It's a two hours ride from my school to the village and along the way to the mountains, the scenery is really beautiful. No kidding.

We made it to their village, and I think it's pretty much like a Kampong area. Anyway, their family is very warm and friendly. Be it the Ah Gong, Ah Ma, Aunties, Uncles, kids my age, toddlers blah blah blah, all of them are super friendly and gave me a warm welcome. c:

They brought me to their family cemetry and started 扫墓. It was kind of weird actually, because I'm just an outsider. From what I observed, they actually have to light fire crackers up after the whole ceremony (which includes burning the incense paper and cleaning up of the tombstones).

Call me a sua ku, but I was damn amazed to see fire crackers at such a short distance.

Despite me being an outsider, I sat at the table to have lunch with them. The aunty, my teacher's mother-in-law, prepared tonnes of 饺子. And we had that and 饺子汤 for lunch. 北方菜和南方菜吃起来果然不同.

Anyways, 清明节 is also a day for family to get together. After lunch, they brought me up to their mountain villa. O.o

It happened that the 三叔 bought over the whole mountain and started building villas around the mountain. Right now it's still a private villa. But accordng to my teacher, it will open up to the public in the next few years. :D

My teacher asked me to go 转转, the Third Uncle's son became my guide and brought me up the mountain for a hike. It was really tiring and kind of dangerous.. But the mountain view is BREATH TAKING~!!!!!!

After the hike, we came back for their BBQ session. They were having mutton satays and I do not like and do not eat mutton at all. My teacher persuaded me to try though..

Since I'm already here, WHAT DO I HAVE TO LOSE? Took a bite and it was simply delicious.

The BBQ session consisted of loads of talking and BBQing.

After the BBQ session, they continued a little tour around the mountain villa before heading back to city...

They are really very warm and friendly people. Even though I wasn't even part of the family, they made me feel really comfortable and I felt no distance between them at all. Before I left, they gave me this really yummy 缸炉烧饼 as a gift. I have nothing for them, except a really big hug and handshake to everyone of them.

The rest of my weekend was just exploring 石家庄. And I did some exploration alone just yesterday. I know I'm not supposed to wonder around alone... But Kat is proud to say that she knows how to read their bus routes and survive their crazy traffic. I am already living like a local! 就只差一个自行车!

I really can't put what I saw and experienced that day in words.. But I have the pictures to illustrate my day to you guys.

I'll upload the photos as soon as I can and give you guys a more detailed update on my weekend. :D

Be well everyone and I'll update soon again!

No comments:

Post a Comment